Building Your Self-Esteem
If you want to better yourself, you need to have confidence and you can only have confidence if you have high self-esteem. High self-esteem will help you make the right decisions in your life, and it will give you the confidence to make those changes. In order to increase your self-esteem you need to do the following:
1. The first thing that you need to do is to impress yourself because to raise your own self-esteem you have to respect yourself. Find things that challenge yourself and then do it. Maybe run a marathon, write something, or just climb up a big hill, whatever you can do to raise your self-esteem. This is all part of setting goals and then working towards those goals. Achieving goals is probably the best way to gain self-esteem for yourself.
2. Look for things that bring out the best in you, including noble pursuits like academics. By learning more, you feel that you know more and that will give you more self-esteem.
3. Helping another person can make you feel better about yourself. Work at a homeless shelter, volunteer with a charity or environmental organization, become a Big Brother or Big Sister. This can be very rewarding and it can make you feel great about yourself, thereby raising your self-esteem.
4. When you know something, teach someone else how to do it. A good way to raise your self-esteem is to teach someone the skills you have. That will allow you to feel better about yourself because you are passing on something you know to someone else. You are helping a person better themselves, by being a teacher. Your self-esteem will go up and the admiration you get from the person you teach will help you have more confidence.
5. You have to be positive with yourself because if you are positive, you will believe in yourself. If you walk around making bad comments about yourself, you will have low self-esteem. You need to look in the mirror and say something good about yourself. Give yourself confidence because you are your biggest fan. You are the person who believes in yourself and you trust yourself, so if you see yourself telling you that you are a good person who can achieve anything, then you will be able to build your confidence. When you are building your self-esteem, your best friend will be the mirror because you can see yourself and talk to yourself about all the good things you are going to achieve. Your self-esteem will rise up before you know it.
Self-esteem is either high or it is low. If you have low self-esteem, you will have trouble bettering yourself because your low opinion of who you are will keep you from achieving anything. However, if you have high self-esteem, you will believe in yourself and you will achieve the things you want. Self-esteem is extremely important because high self-esteem gives you confidence. Confidence allows you to reach your goals and better who you are as a person.
To streamline and minimize blog maintenance, I will be discontinuing maintaining the Simplepersonaldevelopment.com website (however, I will still hold the domain). I will gradually move all articles from this site to Ahmed Dawn Dot Com. This article originally published on the above website on Aug 14, 2010.