How To Get Free Relationship Therapy
First Published: February 25, 2009 ADawnJournal.com
Therapy can be very expensive. If your budget allows it, don’t think too much about these fees and spending a lot of money. This is not an expense; think of this as an investment towards your future. If your budget does not allow it, paying for therapy can be really challenging. However, there are ways you can find therapy for free or for cheap.
1. Try group therapy – If you don’t mind sharing your differences with others. Group therapy can cost $25 per hour, while typical individual therapy can run from $100 to $200 per hour. To find group therapy in your area, search for group therapy your area on line.
2. Sliding Scale – Ask your therapists if they can change according to income. This option is called sliding scale. Many therapists offer this nowadays. Don’t be afraid or shy to ask.
3. Government Programs – There are many free government programs available to help with counseling. Call your social services office and they will be able to find you an appropriate agency.
4. Employee Assistance Programs – If you are employed, most likely you have these programs through your work. These are confidential, free, and good quality therapy programs. There may be some restrictions. Check with your HR.
5. Charities and Religious Organizations – Many charities and religious groups (churches, synagogues, mosques etc) offer free or low-cost therapy services. Some of these organizations have their own therapists and some of them can help you find free or low-cost therapists according to your needs. Don’t be afraid to check with different faith than yours institutions. It’s unlikely that they will refuse you to serve because you are from a different religion.
6. Friends and Family – Another option would be to talk to someone you highly regard as a well-knowledgeable person on this marriage/relationship/family issues. This person can be your friend, an elderly member of your family, or someone in your neighbourhood. Although this person may not be able to provide professional counseling like a licensed therapist, it is good talk to someone rather than no one at all.
7. Try This – If you are not able to follow any one the five tips I mentioned above, doing the following should get you a free therapist.
Search online by entering these keyword phrases:
A. Free marriage Counseling Resources in Toronto
B. Toronto free marriage therapy community services
NB – Replace Toronto with your own city name.