Writing A Mission Statement
When you are starting a business, one of the most important things you can do is to write a mission statement. A mission statement is very important when you are writing a business plan, and a business plan is essential when you want to have a successful business with investors. A mission statement explains what your business is all about to customers, those in the community, employees and suppliers. The mission statement should cover all aspects of your business, the products you offer, the service, position and growth potential of your business as well. It clarifies the business you are in, the objectives you have and the goals of your business.
To write a good business plan, you should at least ask yourself these questions:
- What do I want for my family, my customers and myself with this business?
- Why am I in business?
- Who are my customers going to be and how is my product/service going to enrich the lives of my customers and lead to their own success?
- What kinds of products and services will I be giving to my customers and what is the nature of the product/service?
- What levels of service will I provide to my customers and do most companies offer these types of services or products?
- What roles within the company will I play and my employees play?
- What separates my company from the other companies that provide the services and products?
- How will I use strategy and technology to reach the goals that I have set for myself in the company?
- What are the values that guide the company?
Now, you are going to have to write up your mission statement by answering these questions. If you have others in the company with you, talk with them and get their ideas for the mission statement. It is important that when you are picking people to help you with the mission statement, you pick those who will be positive and supportive to your goals. You do not want any naysayers bringing you down.
It is going to take you a few hours to do a mission statement because it is not something you do quickly. Make sure you set aside the time for the mission statement to ensure that it is done right. It is important that you prepare yourself for the task of putting together the mission statement. Brainstorm and make sure you have all the information you need in front of you so you can get right down to the business of writing the business statement.
One of the most important things you can do is to constantly revise your mission statement until it is right. You want your mission statement to fit exactly what you think your company means and you do that by reworking the mission statement until it is right.
Once you have completed your mission statement, put it on your company web site, on business plans, company cards, brochures and more.
First Published: Sep 12, 2010 entrepreneurjourney.com