Home Office Tips
As an entrepreneur, you are taking your future into your own hands and making yourself successful. Of course, being successful is not as easy as one would think. There is a great amount of things that need to be done to make it happen and it begins when you start out in a home office with no employees. So, what are some tips to make yourself successful in your home office?
- One of the most important things to do is to separate your home office from the rest of the house. This does not mean you have to be in a shed outside the house, but it does mean that your work stays within your office at all times. You do not want your work moving into the living room, kitchen or anywhere else in the home. Keep your work space separate by keeping your work there. This will help you work more because you will feel as though you are actually going to work when you get in your home office.
- Establishing hours for work is very important. The great thing about working from home is that you can set your own hours. If you work better from 5 p.m. to midnight, work those hours. If you want more typical work hours, then work 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Just make sure that your work hours are set and you stick with them. You can even take time for lunch and breaks so that it feels like you are working.
- Going into your home office in pajamas can feel good but it will give your brain trouble as it tries to figure out if you should be working or relaxing. Keep things professional in your home office by keeping the phone off, keeping from browsing the internet and dressing in a casual manner that would be good for an office.
- Decorate your office in any way that makes you feel comfortable. You need to be professional with your décor, but at least you can put up things to make you smile throughout the day. Also try and choose an office that has good lighting because this will help you enjoy your day more and help you feel as though you are in a happy place when you work. The happier you are the better work you will do and the more you will get done. Having a comfortable chair, soft music and nice pictures can help. Another thing that can help is having a lot of space in your office. You don’t work in a cubicle anymore, so why feel like you are at home?
- Set up a phone line for your business. You do not want your family answering business calls with “Hello?” You should be answering the phone with “Good morning, <company name>, How May I Help You?” This is professional and it will impress clients who call you. You also won’t have to compete with family members for the phone line, which is very important.
First Published: EntrepreneurJourney.com Apr 11, 2010